Sunday, September 20, 2009

ASSET BENEFICIARY MONICAH N.


In the past, ASSET has found it challenging to attract female applicants demonstrating the potential for success fitting with its mission. A lot of this was mainly due to the organization’s own weaknesses in building local networks in Uganda and lacking an efficient system of follow up. However, the setting up of a Ugandan field office along with a competent admin team has changed all that.

ASSET is now proud to present to you its first in a long line of female scholarship beneficiaries.

Monicah N. is 24 years of age and is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Economics and Management degree at Uganda Christian University – Mukono, Uganda. She is currently in her second year and is performing exceptionally well in her studies.

We had a conversation with Monicah and this is what she had to say.

ASSET: Tell us about your family and upbringing.

Monicah N: I am the first born out of six children. My grandmother brought me up because my parents didn’t have the means. When she died I went to live with my parents. They depend on farming activities for the little income they have. Most of the farming however is on a subsistence level.

ASSET: Describe your educational goals.

Monicah N: I would like to successfully complete my bachelor’s degree and after working for some time, go on to pursue a Masters degree in Economics.

ASSET: Describe your career goals.

Monicah N: I would like to work in the banking, Non-Government Organization or public sector. I am interesting in policy and finance related work.

ASSET: How do you think this scholarship will help you achieve these goals?

Monicah N: The scholarship will help with tuition and lodging and enable me to complete my bachelors and acquire the skills I need to pursue this career path.

ASSET: Why do you think you are a good candidate for an ASSET scholarship?

Monicah N: I think I am a good candidate for the ASSET scholarship because am a determined, hardworking and committed student.

ASSET: What other financial support do you receive for your studies?

Monicah N: None.

ASSET: Provide an estimate of the financing you need to get back on the path to completing your study program.

Monicah N: UGX 1,154,000 for tuition and UGX 300,000 for accommodation per semester (approximately USD 600 per semester in total)

ASSET: Describe a challenge that you have faced in the past and what you did to overcome it.

Monicah N: When my father stopped working, I was in my senior three, completing my “O” level was a very big struggle but I worked very hard. I attended all the classes and consulted my teachers for help in areas where I felt weak. I also attended both morning and evening preps to do my personal reading and formed a discussion group of five people. My group met regularly to discuss various subjects. I trusted in God and was able to perform very well. Because of this, I was given a full bursary for my “A” level. In addition to studying, I used to go to my home village, in the countryside, every holiday and while there I would harvest different fruits to sell in the market; with the money I got I was able to have pocket money and also to buy books, pens and other necessities for boarding school.

ASSET: What are your interests? What do you do in your free time?

Monicah N
: I am interested in singing, watching movies, traveling, and reading novels but in my free time I enjoy singing worship songs.

No comments: